Coming from a long line of artists, painters and craftsmen, Jacob Rhoades has always viewed creative expression as one of life’s necessities. Jacob is a graphic designer and illustrator who has migrated from Music City USA to Los Angeles, where he currently works full time for LonelyPlanet, the world’s largest travel guide book publisher. In his free time, Jacob creates branding and packaging designs for a wide variety of well-known clients, including the Army National Guard and Tanastica.
Jacob’s work is recognized on a national level; in recent years, big players in the creative industry have lauded his forward-thinking approach to design. Most notably, his MTL Co. project won several Silver Addy Awards and was featured in Print Magazine’s Regional Design Annual 2013. Ultimately, what Jacob admires most is authenticity, and his artwork captures the aesthetic honesty he strives for.
Jacob has several tidbits of advice for Nossi Students:
- Have design heroes (ONLY compare your work to the professionals!)
- Be likeable and have great work ethic
- Network on sites like dribbble, behance and instagram
- Take an internship! You will quickly acquire knowledge of how the graphic design business works
- Love what you do!
- Make sure your portfolio is always on point – in print or online!
View more of Jacob’s work here.